Getting Behind the Wheel.
Every driver has the responsibility to be aware of pedestrians when getting behind the wheel.
Here are some driving safety tips to consider regarding pedestrians:
· Look out for pedestrians everywhere and at all times.
· Yield to pedestrians on crosswalks and never pass vehicles stopped at a crosswalk. There might be a person crossing that you can’t see.
· Be extra cautious when backing up your vehicle.
· Follow the speed limit, especially around people on the street or in school zones and neighborhoods.
· Don’t text and drive. Your attention should always remain on the task of driving.
Pedestrian fatalities in Texas totaled 660 in 2019. We want to keep pedestrians safe so we should always give the pedestrian the right-of-way.
Here are a few tips on how a pedestrian can practice safety when going out for a walk or stroll.
- Always walk on sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Keep alert and be visible at all times.
- Never assume a driver sees you. Make eye contact with drivers as they approach to make sure you are seen and be aware of their blind spots.
- Be sure to follow the rules of the road and obey traffic signs and signals.
Texas pedestrian and pedacyclist crashes totaled 8,499 in 2019. By following a few tips and being cautious, we can help bring this number down!r
We know that after a tragic event or accident, dealing with the aftermath is the last thing that families want to worry about. Don’t struggle with your legal matters alone. Contact us anytime to schedule a free consultation.